Tuesday, May 30, 2017

July 3rd.




July 3rd. That is the big day that I pack up all my belongings (well ideally they will all be packed up prior to July 3rd) and move to Haiti for this next season of life. As promised, I want to share more details about this new adventure. It is certainly new and slightly scary but also very exciting. This new adventure requires a lot of trust in the Lord - but I have faith that He will provide in all ways.

For those that don't know, in just 5 weeks, I will be moving to live in Thomassin, Kenscoff. I have previously lived in Kenscoff, Haiti inside the Chances 4 Children compound. I will be about a 20 minute drive from this site. While in Haiti, I will be a full time missionary, sharing my time between two different organizations. I will be volunteering part-time with Chances 4 Children (http://www.chances4children.org/)  and part time with Espwa Berlancia (http://www.espwaberlancia.org/).

My responsibilities with Chances 4 Children, will be a continuation of the work I have been doing since the end of September. I will continue to manage the communications with the adoption agencies on the children at the orphanage, all of whom are somewhere in the adoption process. I have met so many wonderful people through this work and I love seeing families united. Chances 4 Children's belief is that the answer to Haiti's orphan epidemic can be found by strengthening communities and their families. Chances 4 Children is a well-rounded organization that reaches many corners of Haiti through a variety of programs.

Espwa Berlancia is a new organization name for many of my followers and friends. Espwa (meaning hope in creole) is an inpatient malnutrition clinic for children who are severely malnourished in Haiti. Espwa Berlancia focuses on malnutrition care and family preservation. Espwa Berlancia's mission is to provide Haitian parents with the knowledge and the empowerment to take hold of their future and their children's health, and walking with them on their journey. They assure each one that they are worth and capable of caring for their children. My big responsibilities will be to oversee the staff of the clinic - setting them up with savings programs and doing home visits to get a better picture of their lives. The second part is a little more complicated as families must do follow up visits at the clinic after the child is discharged. Once the family can prove they are involved and committed to changing their child's future, they are then invited to a business program. This intensive program teaches them how to run a business and allows them to create a full business plan to change their future. If they can prove this successful, they will be granted a business loan. My fellow missionary, Keely, runs this program currently and I will be helping with this.

Part of being a full-time missionary means that I don't have a company or organization that is paying me. I am raising my full support so that I can pay rent, buy food, buy water, pay for electricity, etc. I have budgeted my monthly costs to be about $1200/month.
That money will cover:
$450 - rent
$300 - tap water (to fill the tank on top of the apartment)
$200 - food
$100 - electricity
$150 - clean drinking water (tap water is NOT clean water)

I need people to partner WITH me!! If I can find 12 families who are willing to sponsor me at $100/month, I would be fully covered. Now I realize that is not realistic for a lot of families or individuals. I've got quite a few friends who are recent graduates and not making the million dollars (yet). If you are one of those people (or just someone who cannot financially give $100/month), and you feel called to give, you can put in the amount that you would like to give each month. 

Any amount is helpful, even $5 a month, but if I could find 6 people willing to give $100/month and 12 people willing to give $50/month, I would be fully covered for my monthly expenses. I also have moving expenses, such as for flights and furniture items for my apartment. If you are unable to commit monthly but are willing to donate a one-time amount, that is helpful as well. Please prayerfully consider how you would be willing to support me during this big change in my life —either through prayer, financial support or both.



_________________________________________________________________________________

If you are interested in donating money, here are more detailed instructions for how to do that. I have made an agreement with Chances 4 Children to filter all my donations through them so that those who are donating can have a tax break for their donations. If you are willing to donate financially to support me on the mission field, please follow these instructions:

2.     On the left-hand side of the page there are two places to donate. For 1-time donations you can give in the first box. Please make sure to select “In honor of:” and write “Alison”.
3.     For reoccurring monthly donations, please use the second box. Please put in the amount you would like to give monthly and write “Alison” in the second box.
4.    Once you’ve clicked “donate”, it will take you to Paypal’s page. If you have a pre-existing paypal account, then you just need to log in. This will set up reoccurring payments to be taken out each month so you don’t have to remember to send money every month J
5.     If you do not already have a paypal account, you will have to create an account, which is secure and safe. All you need is your credit card and billing information. It’s very quick and simple.
6.     At the beginning of each month when the money is received, Chances 4 Children will give me the money so that I can pay rent, food, etc. Though the money is going through Chances 4 Children, it will cover my work at both organizations. At the end of the year, Chances 4 Children will send you a statement will your donations from the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment