Thursday, August 3, 2017

1 Month

{The view of the sunset from the balcony off my apartment}

Somehow it has been a month since I arrived in Haiti for this new adventure. I had hoped that I would have updated all my friends and family sooner than 1 month, but alas life has been crazy and busy and so here we are August 3rd finally getting an update. Let me just say, it has been quite the whirlwind and I cannot believe it has been a month already. 

I will try and capture what has taken place this last month, without boring you all. I arrived and celebrated the 4th of July with a big cookout and fireworks with some other American missionaries. Starting the 5th, it was full force work. I was staying in a spare bedroom in a friend's house while my apartment was being finished. I have since moved into a room in the malnutrition center and while it has been wonderful to have a place to live while I wait for my apartment, I am very ready to move into my apartment and off-site. 

Work has been a balance of working at the malnutrition center and at Chances 4 Children - managing adoptions. Both have been great, but boy it's been an adjustment trying to find the right balance on how often I drive to Kenscoff (or take a moto) and how often I stay in Thomassin and do my work here. I've basically settled on one day in Kenscoff for work and 4 days in Thomassin and then the weekends I often spend Saturdays here and Sundays in Kenscoff for Church and lunch with Johnny. Johnny and I have had to find a balance as well of how often he comes here and how often I go there to see him. He has started a pre-class for medical school which he will start in the fall, but it means he he leaves Kenscoff at 6am to go to PAP and then leaves PAP at 6pm to return home. It is just a busy season in our lives but we are learning how to communicate through that and appreciate the time we do get together (because regardless it's far more time than we were getting when I was in the US). The goal, hope and prayer is that Johnny will apply for another US visa (4th time) to come home with me around Christmas time. He will likely start this application process in October after he starts school. Please keep us in your prayers during this process as it is taxing on both of us and something we really want. 

The Lord is definitely at work here. I have seen children come into the malnutrition center, very very sick - 12 year olds that weighs 35 pounds, 9 month olds that weighs 10 pounds, 6 month old weighs 6 pounds. The Lord has stood by them - He has healed them. He has restored their joy. As I write this, we are waiting on two very sick little babies to arrive via ambulance transport - I don' t know what the Lord has in store for their little lives, but I know that He has big plans. 

I have also seen families reunited forever. Last week, we had 4 families united forever and they got to come and pick up their children from the creche in Kenscoff. The Lord hand selected these families for these children. He has opened doors, provided comfort in periods that felt like they went on forever and gave them the strength to welcome new family members into their home. 

I do not have the words to express how honored I feel to have been chosen to do this work. This work is not about me, it is about His Kingdom. It is about His people. It is about His work.

It is not too late to sign up to sponsor me monthly, or even with a one-time gift. After having been here a month, I see that this work will be emotionally exhausting. I would love to be able to get away 1-night a month to a hotel or something for some rest and relaxation. I cannot do this unless I have more monthly sponsors. Please consider giving. Here is the link: http://www.chances4children.org/c4c/donate/contribute/
Just remember to put my name in the "in honor of" line. 

{This little one has gained weight and regained her smile. She is about ready to go home to her family, whom have learned how, when and what to feed her to keep her healthy}

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Alison :) good to hear that things are starting to settle in! I'll pray that things don't get to emotionally taxing for you!

    ReplyDelete